What I love most about these bars is they work so well with ANY fruit flavour. I do love the berries most but any stone fruit is easily just as delicious. I glaze them with a lemon glaze but they taste great without it too.
Brown butter...oh how I LOVE brown butter. Nothing beats that flavour and the smell...ugh, I need a brown butter candle. So with the brown butter base and the strawberry jam, this works wonderfully together. The crumb adds that extra crunch and flavour.
I truly love the Brown Butter Strawberry Crumb Bars! To be honest, bars are one of my favourite things!
Brown Butter Strawberry Crumb Bars
Crust & Crumbs:
- 14 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar sifted
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Add brown butter to a large bowl and whisk in sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until combined.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture and fold in until incorporated. Reserve ¾ cup of dough for topping (keep chilled); press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust for 14 to 16 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- Combine sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add strawberries and lemon juice, tossing gently to combine. Spoon mixture over cooled crust and crumble reserved dough over filling.
- Bake for another 45 to 50 minutes, or until topping is golden and filling slightly bubbly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. Carefully lift parchment and place bars on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.
- Whisk together ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over bars and let set before serving. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.