I LOVE shrubs! They are just so versatile. Perfect for a boujee cocktail or add a little to enhance your water. A little sweet, a little sour and deliciously fruity. Shrubs have become the go-to for most of my cocktails. Add your liquor of choice, shrub and top with sparkling water. It works every time!
Enjoy! Tag @tarynstastingtable on your creations!
Summers favourite cocktail enhancer
- 1 cup watermelon washed quartered, de-seeded and lightly crushed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Place fruit in bowl. Cover with sugar and stir.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until juice exudes from fruit and starts to combine with sugar to form syrup. This may take only 5 or 6 hours, or it may need a couple of days. A longer maceration won't harm anything, so feel free to leave it in fridge longer than it might need.
- Strain syrup from fruit. Press lightly on solids to express any remaining juice/syrup. Scrape remaining sugar into syrup.
- Add vinegar and whisk to combine
- Pour through funnel into clean jar or bottle. Cap and shake vigorously, and mark date on bottle. Store in refrigerator.
- Check periodically. Some sugar may remain undissolved for up to a few days. Shake to combine. After about a week, acids in juice and vinegar should dissolve sugar entirely.
Leave a Reply