The ultimate indulgence! These caramel shortbread bars are honestly one of my favourite things and I have been making them for about 20 years. They are the best! Such a delicious mix of crunchy shortbread, creamy caramel and rich chocolate. They store well in the fridge but I would recommend eating them at room temp. Top with salt for a yummy salt and sweet combo!
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 100 g sugar
- 275 g all-purpose flour
- 175 g butter
- 175 g sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 ml condensed milk one tin
- 300 g milk chocolate or any chocolate you like
- Preheat your oven to 350°F Fan, and line a 9x9 inch Deep Square Tin with Parchment Paper.
- Cream together the sugar and butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until smooth – mix in the flour until a dough is formed.
- Firmly press the mixture into the bottom of tin and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 20-25 minutes until pale golden on top.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to the side.
- In a large saucepan pour the condensed milk, butter, sugar, syrup, vanilla and melt on a medium heat till the sugar has dissolved – stir frequently.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up high and let the mixture come to boiling point and boil for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly.
- The mixture will be ready when it has changed to a slightly darker golden colour, and has thickened to a soft fudge texture!
- Pour the caramel onto the shortbread base and leave to set for an hour in the fridge.
- Once set, melt the milk chocolate and pour over the caramel - melt in the microwave or double boiler.
- Put the shortbread back in the fridge for another 1-2 hours until the Chocolate has gone hard.
- Chop your Shortbread into the separate pieces and enjoy!